Friday, July 25, 2008

Surgery required

Well I received bad news from the doc today. My bones are not healing properly. In fact the bone is now sticking further out than it was originally. So the only solution is surgery. Its an outpatient type of thing where I go in at 6:30 AM and go home the same day. I will need to take a few days off from work but should be able to return within 3-4 days.

The surgery itself consists of putting a metal plate across the two bones and screwing it in.

The Bummer is that it will be 3 months before I can begin training seriously. During that 3 months I will have to do physical therapy to recovery the full range of motion in my shoulder.

However there are some things I can do during the 3 months, teh doc said almost immediately I will be able to do work on a stationary trainer or bike. About 6-8 weeks I should be able to run.
Finally after 3 months I should be able to hit the pool again. So although not a great piece if news, I am glad to be dealing with it so it could heal ASAP.

3 comments:

Born To Endure said...

Hey you're doing IMUSA 2009 too..kewl!!

Ski Dad said...

Yep, I was originally doing Im Moo 08, but my accident got in the way of that. But luckily I had entered through the Community slot and they let you transfer once :)

PJ said...

Bummer about the surgery. I guess you could just think of it as a brand new start. Your legs will be very fresh when you start up again! :)