Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Special day for Dusty!

I took today off and decided it was high time Dusty the Bike got cleaned. Some of you that have ridden with me in the past may at this tiem be in shock ( Dusty is called "Dusty" for a reason). I have in the past wiped Dusty down before but never a thorough cleaning. Iwas driven by the fact that I have to take my bike apart in order to travel to Singapore, and well I did not look forward to the massive grease stains that I will inevitably end up with. Heck I end up like that even just picking up the damned bike!


Above: Dusty as he is ready for a cleaning.

Anyhow, once I got started, it was like a chain reaction. I would clean one piece only to realize that there were multiple layers of crap on this bike. So I would take off the front wheel so I can clean it better. The the rear wheel so I can clean the bike chain.






On left: Dusty in a sad state







Anyhow, once I got started, it was like a chain reaction. I would clean one piece only to realize that there were multiple layers of crap on this bike. So I would take off the front wheel so I can clean it better. The the rear wheel so I can clean the bike chain.

When I arrived at the chain ring. Well that was just a disaster. the oil and grease was just caked on it. I was appalled! I hate to admitthis, but I might as well. I had noticed the "black" teeth before and just thought that they were carbon "tipped". Imagine my surprise when the "carbon" came off!

May not be too clear but on the left of the chainring the teeth are still black. Those MUST be carbon tipped right?



It took quite awhile, and I may have ended up with more grease on me than on the rags. But I think I managed to get a substantial amount wiped off. I actually ended up taking the chain off and using a toothbrush to get to the caked grease between the chainring and gears.




After all was done, here are the victims, once clean white rags and paper towels.






After, I finished putting the chain back on and the wheels back in place, I then lubricated the chain with my "Prolink" chain lube. This process irritated me becase the oil was splashing onto the bike again, which meant I had to wipe it down again. Sigh... After maybe an hour and a half I was done. :)





Dusty is happy








1 comment:

justadam said...

Awe, you finally cleaned Dusty. That's so sweet!!!! Dusty may now ride on top of my perfect Explorer.