Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Triathalon Adventure

You know often I ask myself and get asked , why am I so completely enraptured of triathlon? Its a good question. I guess there could be lots of reasons for it, the overall fitness, cross-training benefit of training in 3 sports, the great camaraderie with other friends in the sport etc But for me there really is one factor overall that does it for me. Its the fact that every time I go out to race, its a grand adventure!

As I have said a dozen times to different people, there is nothing that gets me mentally out of work mode faster than hopping into a wetsuit, and jumping into the Hudson river. Doing battle with floating wood and used condoms ( although its not that bad after the sweep it for us) is just a heck of alot more fun that filling forms and dealing with politics.

The truth is no matter how many times I do a race, there is always something a little different that makes it interesting. This is why people think we are freaks. We triathletes dabble in something that is not normal. You can argue that could mean we are all "Abnormal", but I think it just means we have adventurous spirits.

Yesterday, I had a great reminder of how far I have come mentally, when myself and Adam introduced a group of beginners to their first Open water experience. There was overall shock and serious apprehension. A number of folks hyperventilated and most had trouble swimming on the first swing through the Lake. Many resorting to the Breast stroke, despite the fact that the swim as a whole was no more than 100 yards. Much less than they swim in the pool. But the shock of doing something so foreign to their everyday existence was difficult for them. I remember going through the same several years ago. And now for me its really just fun.

For the folks yesterday, Despite their shock, they ALL finished their swims and were actually well on their way to reclaiming the swimming form they have honed over the past few months. But you want to know the best part? If for only this one day, all of these "normal" people, stepped out of their "safe" zone and stepped into an adventure. In doing so they made their lives just a teeny tiny bit more flavorful.

And well isn't that what makes life worth living?

This same adventure is what I experience whenever I do a race or have a great training session, even better I get to share the experience with friends. What else do you want?

Now for the requisite photos!



Neil doing the wetsuit dance



"Did that Branch just move? I'm Outta here!"


Simba gets a good laugh watching the Wetsuit dance. Humans are funny!

The Wetsuit check: "I can touch myself here, and I can touch myself here..."


4 comments:

justadam said...

We'd like more posts from Simba on this blog.

ramster said...

Simba laughing definitley should be nominated for some kind of blog award.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I love the adventure of racing. I think the best race i have done in a while was St. Croix for that reason, it felt like a wild trip around a harsh island. Well put.

-John

Pam said...

well said