Sunday, September 30, 2007

Back to training

Well after a few weeks I finally put the bike together ( since Singapore!) and went out for a ride. It was a beautiful day and it felt like a shame not to do something with it.

The past few weeks have been dedicated to recovery of sorts for me. At Singapore I hit a very crowded intersection in my life where I had so many competing stresses, that even something I enjoy like triathlon seemed to be a real burden. Between work, problems with the neighbors, illnesses in the family, and even more work, and trying to sell and buy a home at the same time. I just could not find the right time to fit in those critical workouts.

Well, that's not the whole story. I really just felt drained when I did find the time. The Singapore race felt like such a huge burden to me. Thats just not what its supposed to be about. It was just one goal too many for me to handle properly.


So right after that race, which in and of itself was not a shining moment for me. I decided to take a break from training. Not only was I dealing with all of the mental stresses but my body was just beat, I had a nagging extensor tendinitis that was just getting worse the more I ran. My body was just beat.

That was perhaps 3 weeks ago. Today feeling quite refreshed. I went for a 1 hour bike ride followed by a 30 minute run. I felt GREAT!

There is still allot of stress. In some cases more, but being on a two week "no contact" break from work has helped alleviate some of the stress. But My foot felt great. Not an incling of pain. mentally I feel almost ready again.

At least I feel ready to slowly get back into it. I think we should all at times take a break from our lives. or at least some portions of it. I guess that's what a vacation is about. But I do know of so many people that even when on vacation they simply cannot just stop and veg. I mean they take their vacation and then build a schedule of "Fun" things to do.

Athletes often stress on how they can continue their training in the new environment. Come on! Just enjoy the time off. That's where I found myself at. Once I let go of the "need" to train I was able to focus on the real priorities. Maybe that's what over training is about?

Anyhow now that I am in a better place, training is fun again. Looking forward to the challenges of IM Moo in 08!!

No comments: